Monday, February 13, 2006

Too Close To Home (Cancer)

Although I've decided to begin this venture (notice that I didn't say "adventure"), of posting my thoughts on the treatments, causes, and anything else related to cancer, at times I know that's it's not going to be easy since it has struck numerous times in my family and has affected many aspects of our home life.

I thank God, everyday, that the loved ones I have now that have either had/or have cancer, are still around today! It would seem that in this world of soooo much advanced technology....that there is something that we are definitely missing in the cure for this disease. I propose that it will eventually be found to be something quite simple that was right under our noses to begin with......OR, could it be something that is as simple as eating too many processed foods and we're not getting all of the essential vitamins that we use to consume in a simpler time? Tell me what you think?

I feel that here in the good old U.S. of A., there are too many treatments around the world that are simply not allowed to be used here do to the government preventing people from having these treatments available to them within our country. It's no wonder that it's running rampant. Colon cancer has become the third largest killer disease here (and rising)! Why is that?

In my immediate living family alone, I have one sister who is a breast cancer survivor (of five years), and a younger brother who was just diagnosed with colon cancer this past November. My mother died at the very young age of 36 of cirrhosis of the liver (no...she was not a drinker), and a number of her sisters also died with breast cancer. On my father's side....although dad has lived a long and healthy life (he just turned 90 this past October), his brother had colon cancer 5 years ago....so he's a survivor.

With my brother's diagnosis, came a renewed fear of it showing up in more of us as time goes by (there are 10 siblings in the family....and as of this year....all of us are over 50 years of age). I'm thankful for the time that we've all had with no major illnesses or diseases. It's not too often that you come across a family the size of ours, where all the siblings are still around to enjoy the holidays and special occasions together! That in and of itself, is a miracle to me!

I do believe that one of the main factors in keeping a cancer-free body...is a good positive attitude that things of that nature, are not going to affect your body. But should it affect mine, I will not stand for the government telling me what treatments I am, and am not, allowed to use, just because I live in this country!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home