Tuesday, February 14, 2006

First Cancer Diagnosis Amongst Siblings

When my sister was first diagnosed with breast cancer....did the rest of us panic? Not really. You see she was a "middle" child, being the sixth born out of ten.....the fifth of eight girls. All of the older sisters had, at one time or another, lumpectomies that proved to be benign, and up to the present time, there has been only one sister who has not gone through this procedure.

I know her first thought was "Why me?", although I know she would also have not wished it on any of the rest of us. But she was one of those people who didn't drink, never smoked, and usually ate healthy foods (though I'm sure she ate un-healthy foods at times also).

The medical field will say that it's all in the numbers.....my mom having had breast cancer when she died, her sisters also had breast cancer, so the numbers were against us. I don't abide by this theory.

Why? I also have a sister-in-law who ended up with throat cancer, and fortunately it was caught early enough that she didn't loose her voice box....same thing as far as, she didn't smoke, didn't drink, has always maintained a normal weight, eats healthy, etc. Now what caused her cancer?

I don't know.....I just think the medical community is too involved with studying drugs and other expensive treatments, to really study the reason someone gets this disease to begin with. There has to be some other triggering element other than just family history.

I have done some other research on alternative cancer treatments ever since my sister had her operation, and there are just too many other plausible, less expensive, treatments than what the standard medical community is pushing on people these days. It worries me.... Are they really concerned for your well being, or is it the easy thing for them to do because that's all they've been taught? Cut, extract, radiate, chemo.....and then just hope for the best.....no guarantees....and, oh yeah, don't forget to keep coming back!

Well......the sad part of this story....three years after my sister had her mastectomy....they found a lump in her other breast. I guess the good part was they found it early enough, that she didn't have to have that breast removed. They removed what they saw and she went through radiation therapy again. Now, mind you, she had been to all her follow-up checkups....and she found this lump just three months after her last exam.

I, at this point, don't know what the definitive answer is, but I know our standard medical community is not doing everything it could be. I actually believe a lot of the treatment that they give you, does more harm than good! Do you know what the radiation and chemo does to your immune system? And that will never repair itself.... I don't know if it's worth the price!

During her first bout with cancer, my sister went through numerous life changes. Some say, brought on by the cancer....I say NOT! She re-evaluated her life, and decided she no longer wanted to be married to the person she had known since high-school, and they had been married for 36 years. Since I was single, she moved in with me while going through the divorce, the chemo, the radiation, and the reconstruction surgery.

I actually look up to her quite alot....she had a plate full....but continued every day with a positive attitude! She is definitely a strong person, although, she never thought she was prior to this....which is part of the reason she stayed in a marriage where she was not happy for a good number of years longer than she should have.

There's a lot of information on the internet for researching, should you or a loved one become a victim of this disease (remember....the numbers are against you). To expand your knowledge, I will try to provide a link that I believe could be of use in addressing this disease....outside of the normal mainstream medical community. I hope it helps someone: Alternative Cancer Treatments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home